Today the kiddo's had their visit to the dentist - Squirt's fourth and Button's first! They both did pretty good with the cleaning but each had their moments. Squirt did not like the sideways x-ray and refused to have them done. I think this was because he has a small mouth like I do and it hurt him. (I know that seems contrary to the fact that the kid has a great set of lungs!)
Well, the dentist prefers for parents to stay on the sidelines so they won't interfere with what needs to be done, but I could tell that meltdown was coming and if that happened, he wouldn't be willing to go back in the future. I was not pleased that the woman, T, kept pushing and didn't seem to see the warning signs. I stood at the door and told Squirt that the x-rays needed to be done and then walked away, but when he got even more upset at not being able to see me and having that thing in his mouth, I went back to the doorway and asked if it could wait a year. I then went in and took my son from the room and consoled him. Only after he was calmed down did I ask him if he was willing to have his teeth brushed. I was fully prepared to walk out if it he got upset again. Fortunately, the experience wasn't so bad that he wasn't willing to let them take a look. The fact that he would get a "tattoo" and a toy was a bonus.
So, T redeemed herself by encouraging both kids to come get their tattoo and she proceeded to put them on. Then she held Button while B counted, cleaned and flossed Squirt's teeth. Button got to watch the whole thing, but I think she was slightly distracted by her Dora tattoo and new toothbrush. : )
Next, it was Button's turn. Squirt traded places and sat with T. Button was apprehensive and even with the hands-off policy, I could tell that if Mommy wasn't right there, she wasn't going to have any part of it. She lay down on the chair and I had to have both hands on her tummy for her to feel secure, but after that, she let B count, clean and floss her teeth too!
Then the Dr. came in and checked out both kiddos and said everything looked good! We just need to focus a little more on Squirt's gum line. Great!
Once we were all done, we went to the toy wall. Wow! They have a wide selection of toys for all ages for the kids. Squirt picked out a red, samurai-looking type sword (plastic, of course) and Button chose a plastic octopus that lights up and seems a lot like a squishy yo-yo.
For a treat, I took them to McDonald's for doing so well and let them have the sugar-free lollipops that the dentist had in their goody bags. Their toys were a hit after quiet time and even though Squirt doesn't want to go to back (I had a hard time convincing him that it wasn't just this dentist that does sideways x-rays), I think they have good memories of the day.
Glad that one's over and we can focus on the good parts for the next visit. : )
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Dentist Visit
Posted by Cindi at 12:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like an adventure!
Wow! My kiddos haven't even been to the dentist yet. I don't like dentists much so it is hard for me to get the kiddos in. Hopefully it will happen soon.
Isn't going to the dentist always an adventure? Glad everything went well.
Post a Comment